Wicker baskets sure can elevate the aesthetics of your room, but a dirty wicker basket is no fun to deal with. But the good news is that you can easily clean wicker baskets and make it look fresh and brand new. If you're here to learn how to clean wicker baskets, you're at the right place. Keep scrolling to find out a few ways to clean wicker baskets.
Note: Empty your basket before you start the cleaning process. Take out everything that is in your basket.
1. Using a microfiber cloth or a sponge
Microfiber cloth or sponge, liquid dishwashing detergent, warm water, a large bowl
● Fill the large bowl with warm water
● Pour a few drops of the liquid dishwashing detergent into the water and stir well
● Clean the wicker basket using a sponge or a microfiber cloth
● Leave it to dry before you use it again
● Make sure the cleaning fabric reaches all the nooks and crannies of your basket.
● Do not use too much water because it can cause warping and ultimately damage your wicker basket
2. Using a vacuum with a brush attached
Vacuum, microfiber cloth
● Vacuum your wicker basket thoroughly. Remember to clean the outside as well as the inside portions of your wicker basket
● After you are done with vacuuming, wipe your basket with a microfiber cloth
3. Dipping the basket
A large bowl (big enough to contain your wicker basket), soapy water, microfiber cloth or vacuum with a brush
● Dust the wicker basket inside out using the vacuum cleaner or a microfiber cloth
● Fill the large bowl with soapy, lukewarm water
● Dip the wicker basket entirely in the water
● Take it out soon and leave it to dry
Do not leave the basket in the water for too long. It can damage the basket material and cause warping.
4. Using salt
A bowl, water, salt, brush
● Fill the bowl with one cup of water
● Add a quarter cup of salt and stir well
● Take a brush and dip it in the salty water
● Scrub it on the wicker basket inside out
● Leave it to dry
5. Getting rid of the musty smell
Many wicker basket users have faced this problem. These baskets often develop mold and mildew if not appropriately treated. But you can get rid of this musty smell in no time.
A bowl, water, vinegar, cloth, toothbrush (optional)
● Pour water into the bowl
● Add vinegar on a 1:3 vinegar to water ratio
● Dip the cloth in the solution and clean the wicker basket
● Use a toothbrush to reach all the corners of the wicker basket
● Leave the basket to dry
Clean the wicker basket using lavender oil, which will give it a lovely fragrance (if you like a lavender scent, that is). You can also use any perfume of your choice that wouldn't harm the material.
Looking to buy a new wicker laundry basket? Check out our ultimate guide to buying a wicker laundry basket.
How to take care of your wicker basket
Take care of your wicker basket to make it last many years. Here are a few useful tips to keep your wicker baskets free from dirt, mold, and mildew.
1. Routine cleaning
Use a brush or vacuum to clean your wicker basket once in a week or two. This will keep the wicker basket clean and free of dust. Routine cleaning is an excellent way to care for your basket, and it won't take much of your time to simply brush the basket inside out.
2. Store in a cool, dry area
There is a reason why wicker baskets should be stored in a dry area. This is because a humid environment can result in the wicker basket developing mold and mildew.
3. Dry the wicker basket after you take out the wet cloths or damp laundry
If you leave wet laundry in wicker baskets for too long, your basket is likely to develop mold and mildew.
4. Avoid storing items with heavy odor
Wicker baskets sometimes retain the smell of the things that are stored in them. Hence, avoid storing items (especially food items) with heavy odor in wicker baskets. Put another way, store aromatic stuff in your basket, and you'll have a sweet-smelling basket.
5. Keep the wicker baskets from sunlight
Though these baskets can be dried in the sun, do not leave them out for too long. Doing that could weaken the strength of the material. Unless the wicker basket is made of synthetic materials and is specially designed for outdoor use, avoid leaving your wicker baskets under direct sunlight.
6. Do not store wicker baskets near heat radiators
Exposure to too much heat can lead to cracks and weaken the wicker baskets. Also, it can lead to bleaching and fading of the color.
7. If broken
If your wicker basket is broken and standing up, try using wood glue. If the damage is pretty extensive, seek professional cleaning help.
One good way to maintain a wicker basket is to paint it. Check out this detailed guide on painting a wicker basket.
Check out some of our DIY projects: